Friday 6 April 2007

Duas for Distress/Grief/Concern/Sorrow

At times of distress the Messenger of Allah ( – may the peace & blessings of Allah be upon him) would say: "Laa ilaa ha il lal laah al-a'theem al-ha' leem, laa ilaa ha il lal laah rabbul arshil-atheem, laa ilaa ha il lal laah rab bus-sa maa waa ti wa rab bul-ardi wa rab bul-arshil-kareem"(Bukhari and Muslim) The English meaning is: There is no ilah (God) except Allah the Magnificent, The Forbearing. There is no Allah except Allah, Lord of the Magnificent Throne. There is no ilah except Allah Lord of the Heavens, Lord of the Earth, and Lord of the Noble Throne.


It is reported of the Prophet (SAWS) that if something distressed him he would say:
"Ya hayyu ya qay yoom, bi-rah matika as tagheeth"
(At Tirmidhi)
The English meaning is: O' Ever Living, O Sustainer, in your Mercy I plead for rescue (help, aid, assistance).
Abu Bakr (RA – may Allah be pleased with him) stated that the Messenger of Allah (SAWS) said "The supplications of the distressed are:
"Allah humma ra'hma taka ar joo, fa laa ta kil nee ilaa naf see tar fa ta a’yn, wa as li’h lee sha nee kul lah, laa ilaa ha il laa ant"
(Abu Dawud)
The English meaning is: O' my Allah it is your Mercy that I beseech, so do not entrust me to myself for even a twinkle of an eye, and correct for me all my affairs, there is no ilah other than You.

The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said to Asma bint Umaysin (ra): "Shall I not teach you a few words which you can say when you are distressed - or at the time of distress - "Allah Allah rab bee laa ush riku bihi shay an" (Abu Dawud) The English meaning is: Allah, Allah my Lord I associate nothing with Him.

The Messenger of Allah said: "The petition of Thin-Noon (Jonah) which he petitioned was when he was inside the whale: "Laa ilaa ha il laa an ta, sub ha’ naka in nee kun tu minath-thaa limeen"
(At-Tirmithi)
The English meaning is: There is no ilah except You, Glorified are Thee, I have been one of the unjust.
It is reported of the Prophet that he said: "No pre-occupying concern, or sadness inflicts a slave of Allah whereupon they says: "Allah humma in nee a'b duka, wabnu a'b dika, wabnu amatika, na siyatee biyadik, madhin fiyya hu'k muk, a'd lun fiyya qa dhaa uk, as aluka bikul lis min huwa lak, sam mayta bihi naf sak, aw an zal tahu fee kitabik, aw a'l lam tahu aha'dan min khal qik, aw is ta thar ta bihi fee i'l mil ghay bi in dak, an taj a'l al-qur aan rabee'a, qal bee, wa noora sad ree, wa jala'a hu'z nee, wa thahaba hammee"
(Ahmad and Ibn Hibban)
The English meaning is: O' Allah! I am your bondservant, son of your bondsman, and son of your bondwoman. My forelock is in your Hands; your judgement is continuously being carried out upon me; your sentence upon me is just. I ask You with every name that is yours, with which You have named yourself, brought down in your book, taught to one of your creation, or have preferred for Yourself in the hidden knoweldge, with You; that You make the Quran the spring of my heart, and the light of my chest, and the despellation of my sadness, and deportation of my (preoccupying) concern.


No comments: